When buying an apartment, penthouse, or luxury home for the first time, you need to make sure that the condition of the house meets, if not exceeds your standards and expectations. Through home viewing visits, you will be able to inspect every room and every space in all angles. You should, however, also be armed with a home viewing checklist that will guide you through the entire process. Here are the things that should be on your checklist:
1. Exterior – First area on your list should be the home’s exterior since it will be the first thing you and other people will get to see. Check if there are cracks on the walls, examine the quality of the paint finish, and if the flashings are securely installed. Moreover, you should also take a look at the grass if the lawn looks presentable to you.
2. The doors and windows – Next thing you need to check on are the doors and windows, as they play huge roles in terms of keeping your energy expenses down and ensuring the safety of your family. Check if there are any signs of damages on every door and window and see if they are still in good condition. Do you hear any squeaking sounds whenever you open and close them? How about the doorknobs? Do they still function properly and do the keys still open and lock the doors seamlessly?
3. The Interiors – Next, we go to the interior part of the house. Like in the exteriors, check if there are small cracks on the walls and if you can smell any foul odors, as this could mean the presence of water damage. Examine the paint if the condition is still ok and check for signs of water leaks right around the ceiling. How about the carpets? The electrical outlets should also be far from kids’ reach.
4. The essential home systems – Essential home systems such as the HVAC and home security equipment like closed-circuit cameras should also be working. These items will help ensure that your family is comfortable during summer and winter, and keep them protected from evildoers and intruders.
5. Kitchen – The kitchen is one of the most vital areas of a home, and its fixtures should all be in great condition. Check all of the cabinets and the cooking range if they are still working properly. Make sure there is also some space for the dishwasher as this is also important.
6. The bedrooms and bathrooms – Lastly, you need to carefully inspect the bedrooms and bathrooms. Do they have enough working lights? Do they have cabinets where you can store your clothes and other stuff? How about the electrical outlets? Are they all working?
We recommend researching additional resources online. Zillow and Homes.com offer valuable tools and resources on their websites and Valerie Fitzgerald has one of our favorite real estate blogs with lots of real estate articles.